Thursday, November 4, 2010

Shelf-bust 101

Talk about dreams imitating life imitating art imitating Clueless (well actually it was more of a montage of Clueless, Pretty in Pink and Slipper & the Rose)... In a dream last night, Sarah was designing me the most perfect party frock. Actually she had about three on the go because I wasn't exactly sure what style I liked the most and had to see them all constructed & photographed before I could commit (typical!). All of the dresses had '50s shelf-bust features. And '80s extravagance. The dresses were made variously from polka-dot taffetta (sky-blue with black 5c piece sized spots, pink with black, black with white). So, the purpose of this post is to express my conscious & subconscious love of the shelf-bust feature. And to explain to Sarah exactly what it is - something I didn't quite manage over muesli this morning. I may have used the term "shelf-bra" & really that conjures up images of '90s hip-house bustiers & the like.
So Sarah, this is what I was getting at:















And this:



Note the awesome airguns the brunette in lemon is packin'. Airguns! When a dress inspires airguns you know it's what I like to call a "Party in a Dress".


So, reckon we can put up a shelf-bust or two in my wardrobe? Don't panic, I don't mean for the witness-dress, just as a summer building project.

Perhaps we can combine it with the Magyar Sleeve project.

Ohhh and a quick yogel of Magyar just informed me that by definition, Magyar, being a sleeve cut from the body of a garment is technically a batwing!

1 comment:

  1. I'll take on the shelf bra challenge in tomorrow’s pattern class after the exam. Also we do have lilac with black spot taffeta in one of the boxes in the office room. With black spotted organza pleated for the bra part could work as well. It is amazing what the subconsciences stores.

    And yep Magyar is a tight fitting batwing/kimono sleeve. But getting the gusset to fit is a bit tricky so that is way it is in patternmaking 2.

    ReplyDelete